Sunday, April 17, 2011

Together

The purpose of poetry is to remind us
how difficult it is to remain just one person...
-- "Ars Poetica"

We are better together.
--
Jeff K.

This one has to count for two, but I think it's appropriate since combination and togetherness ended up being the theme of my weekend in just about every way. Over the last three days, I appreciated being together with old friends, new friends, and my very best friend. My growing to-do list prevents me from exploring this topic with my own words just now, but in this late Sunday solitude, I did have time to go back to one of my favorite e.e. cummings poems. I quickly discovered that it rings truer now than when I first dog-eared the page ten months or so ago, and it speaks to the kind of togetherness I am most thankful for this evening.


skies may be blue;yes
(when gone are hail and sleet and snow)
but bluer than my darling's eyes,
spring skies are no

hearts may be true;yes
(by night or day in joy or woe)
but truer than your lover's is,
hearts do not grow

nows may be new;yes
(as new as april's first hello)
but new as this our thousandth kiss,
no now is so

No comments:

Post a Comment